jump to navigation

Horn 21 November 2009

Posted by elfringham in volvo.
Tags: , , ,
add a comment

5th January 2006

The horn was indeed just a fuse not making contact which makes all three fuses I have had to fiddle with now. At least I am getting to know the wiring diagram a bit better with all these electrical problems.

Advertisements

Deformed flange 21 November 2009

Posted by elfringham in volvo.
Tags: , , , , , ,
add a comment

Engine bay with one chrome air filter

Steering wheel removed to fix indicator switch

4th January 2006

I figured out the indicator switch issue when I noticed that the flange had been deformed. Removing the deformation made the flange narrower so no more problems with the switch being too tight against it. So the steering wheel is now back in place with the indicator switch secured. Only problem now is that the horn no longer works but that is probably a fuse issue or similar as it did work previously. I also removed the wiper mechanism and refitted the old splined hubs with some thread lock to hold them in place. I then refitted the mechanism and fitted the new wiper arms and blades. Testing the wipers and washers showed that both are working well.

Clean contacts 21 November 2009

Posted by elfringham in volvo.
Tags: , , , , ,
add a comment

2nd January 2006

After a bit of poking around this morning I decided that it was the fusebox and indeed cleaning the contacts for the top fuse in the dual fusebox did the job and I now have good working indicators front and back on both sides. I loosened the steering tube enough to pull it forward enough to get at the indicator switch screws. Unfortunately when I tighten the screws holding the indicator switch it seems to be too tight against the flange that cancels the indicators as you turn the wheel. This is going to require more thought to get it correct. I did remove the overdrive switch and straigtened it. It is still not perfect but is a lot better than it was. I also checked that the brake lights work as well.

Glow 21 November 2009

Posted by elfringham in volvo.
Tags: , , , , ,
add a comment

30th December 2005

The choke cable, carburettor gasket sets and rocker cover gasket arrive from Brookhouse this morning. Finally I have a template that I can use to drill the third mounting hole in the chrome air filters I have. Once mounted I should be able to choose which of the various pipe fitings I have to use as the ventilation connector. Last night I managed to remove the splined hubs from the old wiper arms so I should be able to refit them soon. It was quite a job working out how to do it without damaging either the hubs (well not too much anyway) or the wiper arms. I used a number 4 pan-head screw with the head inserted through the centre hole and gripped and pulled with a pair of pliers. I also used the tang of an old file to lever upwards whilst the wiper arm was clamped in place. The day before yesterday I fixed some of the electrical issues as well. The single fuse holder was corroded and not making contact which stopped the rear lights and side lights from working. The rear indicators were also not working, one side was just a blown bulb but the other was a corroded socket. This last I have still not fully fixed as the earth return is not very good to the chassis which makes the the other lights in the cluster glow with the indicator.

Movement 21 November 2009

Posted by elfringham in volvo.
Tags: , , , ,
add a comment

23rd December 2005

The order from GCP was almost a complete waste of time. The hubs for the wiper arms are too big for the spindles. I ordered the wrong gaskets for the carburettors. I wanted the ones for the air filter but ordered the ones for the manifold. Still the fuses should be OK. The SU carburettor owners manual arrived as did the skin fitting which has the right size hose fitting but may be too big to fit without interference. The order from Brookhouse has not arrived yet but I guess I will have to wait until after Christmas to follow that one up. I did have some success today though. I bled the clutch system and then gave the idle screws a turn and a half. This meant that on starting the engine it would actually idle without stalling. I then stopped the engine and put the car in gear. Putting my foot on the clutch pedal I then started the car. There was a bit of a jolt and a nasty noise and then the engine fired up and ran. Letting the clutch out I found that I could actually move the car under its own power!