jump to navigation

Catch up 13 December 2009

Posted by elfringham in volvo.
Tags: , , , , , , , , ,
add a comment

Well that was the last of the historical posts. From now on the updates will be further apart as I don’t work on the car that often.

I have painted the oil cooler so it is now ready for refitting. I may well leave the freeze plug as is, it’s not causing a problem and the cooling system is not pressurised so I think it will be OK. I’ll make a final decision when I go to refit the oil cooler.

I bought some more bits from the guy selling stuff near me. A pair of used rear wheel arch vinyl covers as mine are rotten, a pair of ‘D’ window seals, one new, one good used and a pair of clips for the jack handle in the boot. I also bought a drivers side armrest cover on Ebay. It was advertised as being in the original grain, but of course it isn’t. I’ll probably buy a vinyl repair kit and attempt to repair the armrest I bought and also use this new cover to repair the one currently fitted to the car, I’ll then see which one looks the better.

Advertisements

Drip stopped 13 December 2009

Posted by elfringham in volvo.
Tags: , , , , , , ,
add a comment

24th October 2009

Well the gear box drip seems to have stopped. Maybe I just didn’t clean up properly after changing the seal. I certainly hope so. Last weekend I bought some parts from a guy living not too far from me. A NOS hand brake cable, a pair of original arm rests and an alternator. Of the arm rests, the passenger side is not split while the driver side is barely split at all. I’ll have to see if I can do anything to prevent it getting any worse. I have decided to refit the oil cooler so I bought a new O ring to seal it to the block, it may need a coat of paint though. I also sourced a plug to fit on the remote regulator for the alternator but I could only find that from Dave Barton who is in the US. I could have just used three separate spade connectors as most people do but I felt like doing it properly. The main charging feed cable is threaded around the front of the car and awaiting fitting of the alternator. It looks like the rebuilt alternator I bought a couple of years ago is a Motorola unit and should have come with a spacer to get the pulleys to line up correctly. I am going to space it out with some washers until I sort something better out. The alternator I bought last weekend came with a cranked adjusting bracket which is the part I most wanted, the alternator itself is a bit dubious having sat unused for quite a few years and is another Motorola unit so no help in the correct fitting stakes.

Today I spent most of the time fitting the rear half of the Simonz exhaust I bought a while ago. The rearmost rubber hanger was tough to get on. The body bracket seems to be too large a diameter for the hole in the rubber. I had to use a ‘G’ clamp to force it on. There are reports of this part failing prematurely, but stronger alternatives are easily available so it is not a big deal. I spent a while considering how to fit another bracket from the fitting kit. however it turns out that it is for very early cars and is not applicable to mine. I did however find that there is a bracket attached to the gearbox that has been bent out of the way which I will have to straighten. It is clamped in place by the gearbox support bracket so will be a bit of a pain if I have to remove it to straighten it as it will mean supporting the gearbox while the support is removed and that is going to make access difficult.

I need to sort the oil cooler out next as that must go on before I can refit the manifold. I also need to decide if I am going to fix that freeze plug before I refit the manifold. I need to fit the manifold before I can finish the exhaust and I need to finish the exhaust before I fit the alternator as it impedes access to the manifold to down pipe nuts. I’m also going to fit two new hand brake cables. One of the current ones has a completely perished rubber seal and although that could be replaced, I’ll be happier with a new cable.