jump to navigation

Clunk 13 December 2009

Posted by elfringham in volvo.
Tags: , , , , , , , , ,
add a comment

1st October 2009

Well I fitted the rear wheels as intended but as I rotated them back and forth I noticed a significant clunk each time I reversed the direction of the wheel I was working with at the time. Thinking that the replacement axle was in fact junk I started to strip it all out again and was intending to refit the original axle. I was pretty upset about this and wasn’t really thinking it through. I also went off and ordered a new pinion oil seal to fit in the old axle. Anyway after I got a good way through the removal process I realised that the clunk was actually coming from the gear box and not the axle. So I had to tighten everything back up again. I adjusted the brake shoes so they are close to the drums. The car is now sitting on all four wheels again, something it has not done in over a year. Things still left to do include, tightening propshaft bolts to gear box flange, centre carrier bolts tightening, starter motor bolts, new exhaust, finish alternator conversion and associated rewiring and then refit the manifold. Doesn’t sound too much when you say it quickly now does it? Trying to ignore the drip from the gear box where I replaced the oil seal on the output shaft, ho hum.

Advertisements

New boots 23 November 2009

Posted by elfringham in volvo.
Tags: , , , , , , , , ,
add a comment

2nd June 2006

I took the car to have four new tyres fitted today, Toyo 330s size 165/80/15 which is the stock size. I wanted to see how the car felt in it’s designed form before I make too many changes. The tyre place were a bit uncertain if the wheels would take tubeless tyres but all was OK. Apparently the valve holes are larger than normal but fortunately they had some valves on hand that fitted. It had been pointed out to me that the rear wheels were wider than the fronts and in fact this is so. The rears are 5.5J15 whereas the fronts are 4.5J15. I think the 5.5J15s were standard on some Amazons. There were no balance weights on previously and there was quite a vibration at 60mph but that has now gone. We had been having a little problem with getting the passenger seatbelt to lock in position properly and I found out that was due to the mechanism being put together slightly wrong and I fixed that today. I also changed all the sway bar bushings including those on the link rods. The link rods were a pain as the spacing tube had corroded in place and required some heat from a blow torch and some not so gentle persuasion from a copper mallet before they would come off. I used polyurethane bushings that I had bought on eBay a while ago. While at the tyre place I noticed that a bolt on the front cross member was not tight, it was showing three or four threads. This is where shims can be fitted for gross wheel geometry adjustments but of course there are none there now and I have no easy way to know if there should be any or not without getting a full diagnosis done, which I will try and wait until after all the front end suspension work is finished before I get done.

Spotty Olaf

Polyurethane bushings installed